- WHAT ARE SOME OF THE MAIN ISSUES (AREAS OF CONCERN) RELATED TO GENERAL INTERNET USAGE?
1. Addiction to the internet – People are putting their need for the usage of the internet ahead of basic luxuries that have come costumed to us such as the TV, bathtub and car. Because of this addiction, it is damaging peoples relationships and understanding for natural life (without the internet) and (Source) has stated that in Britain 3 out of 5 people are addicted to the internet and that 2 out 5 woman worry about making themselves appear more interesting to their partner.
2. A lack of privacy – Many people feel like they are being watched online and leaving ‘virtual bread crumbs’ With 70% of people already fearing how much they have shared online. And 1 in 7 teenagers in the US have shared sexual content and had a sexual chat with a real life stranger who could expose you.
3. A flourish in online crime – Since the 1960’s, real life crime has decreased by 60% while online crime has rocketed and is still increasing with crimes varying between copyright and cyber bullying.
4. A plummet in socialization in real life – More people are focusing now on their social lives online than their real relationships online with 2 out of 5 woman worrying about making themselves appear more interesting to their partner than their partner’s smartphone.
What percentage of the World’s population uses these social media websites?
2. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE MAIN ISSUES RELATED TO SOCIAL MEDIA USE?
Mental Illnesses – Because of teenagers being more perceptive and influenced by what they see, when online, mental illnesses are sometimes largely glamourised online and by youth culture (Such as bands) and the amount of time children spend on social media allows these people to soak up this culture and become mentally ill themselves.